Friday, April 19, 2013

A Different Kind of 'Coming Out'

Ok.

I have trichotillomania.

There.  I said it.


Trichotillomania as defined by TLC: The Trichotillomania Learning Center:

Trichotillomania (trick-o-til-o-MAY-nee-ah) is a disorder that causes people to pull out the hair from their scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, pubic area, underarms, beard, chest, legs or other parts of the body, resulting in noticeable bald patches. Hair pulling varies greatly in its severity, location on the body, and response to treatment. For some people, at some times, trichotillomania is mild and can be quelled with a bit of extra awareness and concentration. For others, at times the urge may be so strong that it makes thinking of anything else nearly impossible.

Trichotillomania (also referred to as TTM or "trich") is currently defined as an impulse control disorder but there are still questions about how it should be classified. It may seem to resemble a habit, an addiction, a tic disorder or obsessive-compulsive disorder. Most recently, it is being conceptualized as part of a family of "body-focused repetitive behaviors" (BFRBs) along with skin picking and nail biting.


So, there you have it.

I wanted to start a blog to reach out to others suffering from this and to help educate my family, friends, and anyone willing to read my ramblings!  Trich and associated BFRBs are much more prevalent than you would think.  Most people have at least a body focused "habit" I would say.  I constantly see people messing with their hair (twisting, running fingers through, checking and breaking split ends), scratching at their scalps, picking at acne/scabs, biting their nails, and/or messing with their cuticles.

Sound like anything you do?

I am keeping this first post short, and will go into greater detail in following posts.  I want to include information, opinions, theories, and document the struggles I face living with this and trying to find treatment options.

Just to note: people with these disorders have a high level of self consciousness, shame, guilt, and extreme embarassment.  If you think you know someone who has this, please be kind, if you don't know what to say, it is best to not say anything at all.

For more information, I urge you to visit the TLC website
Trichotillomania Learning Center  

-Marnie

3 comments:

  1. I want to be your first commentor!! Love you, Marnie! You're very brave! LOVE your new hair and yes, I was twisting my hair as I read the line about twisting hair. GAH!! I look forward to reading your blog and watching you get better and better!! XOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOX BIG HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brave of you to share your story. Sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts. Your new hair looks great <3
    -Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. So brave of you to share this and I thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn more about this! I look forward to seeing future posts.

    ReplyDelete