Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why I decided to go public

So, on August 12, I decided to go "public" and announce my trich to "the world" and posted a link to this blog on Facebook.  I am so glad I did.  I got 100% positive feedback, and quite a few people "came out" to me themselves or were able to pass the information on to someone they know with the disorder.

Here is an example of an email that I received that pretty much sums up why I want to raise awareness for this disorder:

Hi Marnie, I just wanted to say I came across your post last week and wanted to tell you I have trichotillomania too. I have had it since I was 10 years old and have some stories to share. I pulled out so much hair when I was 11 that I had a big bald spot in middle school and got made fun of for it. I was also shamed by some family members over it, as though I had control over it. I've never talked about it with anyone, not even [my husband]. He probably doesn't even realize I have that disorder, probably thinks I have a nervous habit but it's more than that. I still have it, but have been able to manage it better since I now know what my "triggers" are. You're brave for telling the world, and thank you for that.

This story is so familiar and one I heard many times when I went to the TLC conference this past spring (more on that to come).




I'm going to try to link to some sort of resource at the end of every blog I do, whether it be another blog, a website, a treatment center, a trich friendly stylist, etc...


Today's pick is a YouTube video that has been watched and shared a million times over. This girl is known as beckie0 on the internet and is pretty much THE trich celebrity. She made the video when she was a teenager a few years ago and it was her "coming out" video, but it pretty much sums up the disorder, even with a bit of humor in there. This video made me really want to start being more public about the disorder and become more of an advocate for awareness and change.


I highly recommend following her videos and her blog


http://youtu.be/CiBIXMBEqgE












No comments:

Post a Comment